Our specialist Party Wall Surveyors always aim to give you clear, cost-effective and impartial advice to guide you through your obligations.

If you have received a Party Wall notice yourself, we’ll make sure your neighbour is compliant and taking all reasonable steps to protect your interests throughout the works.

A very brief overview of the key points of the Party Wall Act is shown below but please feel free to contact us for further advice of how the Party Wall Act may affect you or your neighbour.

When does the Party Wall Act apply?

When various works are completed to an existing Party Structure (this may be a shared wall, or a separating floor between flats).

When new buildings or structures are constructed up-to or astride the boundary line between two properties.

When excavations are carried close to neighbouring structures (this can be up to 6m away).

Some of the more common examples of work that is covered by the Act include:

  • Removing chimney breasts on the Party Wall
  • Cutting into the Party Wall to install steel beams for new openings and loft conversions
  • Excavating within 3m (or 6m in some instances) of a neighbouring structure
  • Constructing new walls along the boundary line
  • Underpinning a Party Wall

So the Party Wall Act applies to my works, what do I do now?

If the Act applies, you are obliged to serve a Party Wall Notice on your neighbour, setting out details of the works at hand and providing key information such as plans, proposed commencement dates etc. In the case of adjacent excavation, you may need to provide specialist details of foundations.

What happens if my neighbour objects to my Party Wall Notice?

The Party Wall Act gives you the right to complete various types of work on or around the boundary line, so provided your works are covered by the Act, your neighbour’s objection cannot stop you going ahead, but will mean that you are obliged to follow the Dispute procedure set out under Section 10 of the Act.

This requires you to appoint a Party Wall Surveyor to act on your behalf. Your neighbour has the right to appoint their own surveyor or they may agree in the appointment of a single ‘agreed’ surveyor. Where two surveyors are appointed, they will agree on the appointment of a third surveyor to adjudicate/referee where the two surveyors cannot agree.

What if my neighbour is starting work and I haven’t received a Party Wall Notice?

If you notice your neighbour preparing to commence work that you feel may include items covered by the Act then you should consult them immediately to check if they are aware of their obligations under the Act and, if required, contact a Surveyor to advise further. It is very difficult to authorise works retrospectively under the Act so it is important take action before the relevant works are completed. There are no penalties under the Act for failure to serve notice but a court injunction can be served to halt works until an Award is in place.

What is a Party Wall Agreement?

The Party Wall Agreement (referred to as an Award) is a written document prepared by the Party Wall Surveyor(s) that sets out the rights and obligations of the owners.

Who pays the Surveyors Fees?

The person carrying out the work (referred to in the Act as the ‘Building Owner’) is responsible for covering all Reasonable Surveyors’ fees.

Services include

  • Building Owner Surveyor
  • Adjoining Owner Surveyor
  • Agreed Surveyor
  • Land Registry Searches
  • Issuing Party Wall Notices
  • Technical Drawings to accompany Notices
  • Schedule of Condition


Service Prices from (Exc. VAT)
Party Wall Notices £60.00
Schedule of Condition £350.00
Adjoining Owner Surveyor £650.00
Building Owner Surveyor £950.00
Agreed Surveyor £1,200.00
Party Wall Advice (initial consultation is free) £95 / hour